Zesty Orange Cornbread

I've been in a bit of vacation withdrawal now that I'm back in Canada. I loved the warm weather, beautiful beach and fresh produce that Florida had to offer.

This morning I decided that if I couldn't go back to the sunshine state right away, than I was going to have to bring it to me in the form of delicious, warm Orange Cornbread.

I forgot how much I enjoy cornbread, especially when it firsts comes out of the oven. I kept going back for more pieces until I finally was smart enough to wrap it up and put it out of sight. I have no self control around delicious warm baked goods!

What you'll need:
1 cup Cornmeal
1/2 cup White Flour
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/3 cup Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup Egg Whites (or 2 Whole Eggs)
1/4 cup fresh Orange Juice
1 tbsp Orange Zest
2 tbsp Canola Oil

Preheat oven to 400°. Grease a 9-inch baking pan and set aside.

Zest the orange. I love to use my microplane for this. Its the little things in life that keep me going.

Cut the orange in half and juice it. I unfortunately don't have a juicer, so I just squeezed it with all my might until I got 1/4 cup of juice.

In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a large bowl, combine milk, egg whites, orange juice and oil.

Stir dry ingredients into wet mixture until just combined. 

Pour batter into a greased 9-inch square baking pan.

Bake at 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Now cut a piece and spread some butter on it. Or go crazy and sprinkle a little sugar on top of that.

Warm, delicious cornbread. How do I forget these things? I'm going to make this more often!

Makes 9 servings.

Printable Version
Nutritional Information

Zesty Orange Cornbread Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Unknown

0 komentar:

Post a Comment